Oil Temp

--=====================_29020889==_.ALT

At 03:16 PM 2/22/2002, Calimus wrote:
>OK guy's pop quiz.  What should the running oil temp in Cels be for
>highway speeds of about 70-85mph on a bone stock 88 16v running 20w-50
>oil in about 75 degree outside temperatures.  Reason I ask, is that my
>rocc seems to like running up around 100-120Cels when I'm doing those
>speeds.  That seems a bit high to me, but I thought I might ask the
>Pro's.  Any suggestions on how to correct this or at least get it cooler
>than that would be greatly appreciated.

With 30k on my car, it would have been at about 112'C
With 80k (when I put the 2L in) it would have been about 115'C.

I don't think I ever saw temps over 115'C on the highway.  A few times=20
after a hard highway run and then suddenly stopping for traffic on hot days=
=20
it would creep towards 118'C or so and then back off.

Try turning all of your electrical accessories (esp. HVAC fan) and see if=20
the temp on the gauge changes -- if it doesn't have a great ground, or your=
=20
electrical consumption is very high, it will read high.

Jason

----------
1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport 2.0
1994 Golf III GL 2.0

http://www.scirocco16v.org

"In the olden days, a good flame war could go on for weeks or months, with=
=20
hot invective flying around like rhetorical shrapnel. It was high art, high=
=20
entertainment. Though tempers flared hot and professional bridges were=20
sometimes irreparably burned, ultimately it was a game =97 a participatory=
=20
sport in which the audience awarded points for felicitous disparagements,=20
particularly well-worded putdowns, inspired squelches."  -- Christopher=20
Locke, "The Cluetrain Manifesto".
--=====================_29020889==_.ALT

At 03:16 PM 2/22/2002, Calimus wrote:<br>
should the running oil temp in Cels be for<br>
highway speeds of about 70-85mph on a bone stock 88 16v running
20w-50<br>
oil in about 75 degree outside temperatures.&nbsp; Reason I ask, is that
my<br>
rocc seems to like running up around 100-120Cels when I'm doing
those<br>
speeds.&nbsp; That seems a bit high to me, but I thought I might ask
the<br>
Pro's.&nbsp; Any suggestions on how to correct this or at least get it
cooler<br>
than that would be greatly appreciated.</blockquote><br>
With 30k on my car, it would have been at about 112'C<br>
With 80k (when I put the 2L in) it would have been about 115'C.<br><br>
I don't think I ever saw temps over 115'C on the highway.&nbsp; A few
times after a hard highway run and then suddenly stopping for traffic on
hot days it would creep towards 118'C or so and then back off.<br><br>
Try turning all of your electrical accessories (esp. HVAC fan) and see if
the temp on the gauge changes -- if it doesn't have a great ground, or
your electrical consumption is very high, it will read high.<br><br>
Jason<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<hr>
1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v <br>
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport 2.0<br>
1994 Golf III GL 2.0&nbsp; <br><br>
&quot;In the olden days, a good flame war could go on for weeks or
months, with hot invective flying around like rhetorical shrapnel. It was
high art, high entertainment. Though tempers flared hot and professional
bridges were sometimes irreparably burned, ultimately it was a game =97 a
participatory sport in which the audience awarded points for felicitous
disparagements, particularly well-worded putdowns, inspired
squelches.&quot;&nbsp; -- Christopher Locke, &quot;The Cluetrain
Manifesto&quot;.</html>