The car is possessed!

I decided to drive this '87 16v I have for the moment to
work the other day.  Turn the key and it cranks but doesn't
act like it wants to start.  Turn the key off - still
cranks!  Removed the key - still cranking.  Turn the key
back "on" then off, quits.  This isn't the first time this
has happened with this car either.  My question is, what
should I look at?  I've already replaced the ignition
switch (electrical part) so...   sticking starter solenoid
or a short in the starter circuit?

Also, I'm wondering if the problem is related to the way
the car sometimes starts.  I.E, cranks but won't fire, but
as you let off the key it runs.

I need to get this problem solved as I plan to transplant
this engine / wiring etc into an '81 'rocco later this
spring.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace