[Mk1] AARRGGHH!!!! HELP! Wierd electrical problem

I was at the video store tonight, and when came out I saw that my
Battery and Cat light were on on my dash....even though the car was
locked and the keys in my hand.  They normally come on when I turn the
key 'on', then shut off after the car is running.  But there they were,
both on for no reason.  I started it up, they went off.  Drove home,
turned the key off, lights came on, but more dim this time.  Started it
up, lights went off, turned the key off, and the engine stayed running!!
 Pulled the key out, engine shut off, dash lights came on.
Do I have a short somewhere?  The more I think about it, I'm thinking
bad key switch.....
I'll be checking mail again in the morning, so any help, quick, would be
good.

Thanks,
Nate
'81 (sick)