fresh rebuild - new everything. starts, then cuts out. can I borrow some knowledge?

Hey guys.

This is the first time I have needed the Scirocco list.  I just installed a
freshly rebuilt engine in my Rocco.  I am step-by-stepping it on vortex.
BTW: my vortex name is "rockin16v".

OK - double checked everything and my car wont run.  It starts, but dies
when I try to give it gas (or leave it alone for that matter).

I checked fuses, firing order, plugs, coil...and lots more.  a few things of
note: I lined up the flywheel mark with the cam mark, and the bottom crank
pulley doesn't line up too well (almost looks like it is out a tooth, but I
know the cover is plastic and inaccurate, so I went with the upper cam mark,
and flywheel mark.

I have gas in the car.  94 oct 1/4-1/3 tank.

I checked the fuel pump relay (didn't use a test light, but I felt it click
when ignition went on).  It sure seems like it is starved for fuel.  it is
high compression (11:1), with a lightened flywheel, brand new 700CCA
battery(bought last night), so it is a bit hard to turn over (not hard, just
harder than I was used to on my 1.8L).

I had no problems with fuel injection when I took it out (and the only thing
I did to the fuel injection is new o-rings, and K&N air filter/gaskets).  It
sure seems like there is one electrical connection undone. I have an
autotech power module set at the highest setting (7) if that makes any
difference (I am pretty sure it doesn't).

can someone shed some light on this for me?  I asked on vortex, and someone
mentioned to "bleed" the fuel system.  I am sure (with the amount of time I
have turned it over it is well bled.  I am tempted to pull the injectors to
see what is happening.  (lift the flow plate etc...).

Thanks a lot guys/girls.  Hopefully this knowledge base will work for me.

Paul