Begging For Help!!

------=_NextPart_000_0146_01C1B870.344883A0

Help!!

While putting a new timing belt on replacement motor for my 16v, I =
notice the keyway for the shaft key on the crankshaft is chewed away as =
is the key itself on the main pulley.  This is the one piece cast iron =
pulley for the timing belt and first v-belt.  The problem is the main =
pulley can now be put on in a number of different positions.  Even if I =
align the timing marks and tighten the bolt in the end of the crank, I =
doubt the pulley would stay there since there is nothing to hold it from =
rotating.

Needless to say, I am completely BUMMED OUT (wanted to hear it run =
yesterday) as well as PISSED OFF at the guy I bought it from since he =
told me he heard it run and it ran well.  I'm not sure how well any =
motor runs when the crankshaft is off 2-3 notches!

Has anyone seen this before?  Does it happen often?  Or was this engine =
the victim of a bad mechanic, perhaps over zealous with a large impact =
driver on the crankshaft bolt when the key wasn't lined up right?

I've thought about he possibility of drilling through the pulley into =
the crankshaft to insert a steel dowel or two to keep the pulley from =
rotating.  Does anyone know what the shearing force is on the key?  If =
the force is too great, I imagine a dowel would not last under the =
pressure (less surface area than a key).  Any thoughts?  Is there =
another fix besides replacing the crank and pulley?

Dejected in Rochester,=20
Erik L

------=_NextPart_000_0146_01C1B870.344883A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Help!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>While putting a new timing belt on =
replacement=20
motor for my 16v, I notice the keyway for the shaft key on the =
crankshaft is=20
chewed away as is the key itself on the main pulley.&nbsp; This is the =
one piece=20
cast iron pulley for the timing belt and first v-belt.&nbsp; The problem =
is the=20
main pulley can now be put on in a number of different positions.&nbsp; =
Even if=20
I align the timing marks and tighten the bolt in the end of the crank, I =
doubt=20
the pulley would stay there since there is nothing to hold it from=20
rotating.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Needless to say, I am completely BUMMED =
OUT (wanted=20
to hear it run yesterday)&nbsp;as well as PISSED OFF at the guy I bought =
it from=20
since he told me he heard it run and it ran well.&nbsp; I'm not sure how =
well=20
any motor runs when the crankshaft is off 2-3 notches!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Has anyone seen this before?&nbsp; Does =
it happen=20
often?&nbsp; Or was this engine the victim of a bad mechanic, perhaps =
over=20
zealous with a large impact driver on the crankshaft bolt when the key =
wasn't=20
lined up right?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've thought about he possibility of =
drilling=20
through the pulley into the crankshaft to insert a steel dowel or two to =
keep=20
the pulley from rotating.&nbsp; Does anyone know what the shearing force =
is on=20
the key?&nbsp; If the force is too great, I imagine a dowel would not =
last under=20
the pressure (less surface area than a key).&nbsp; Any thoughts?&nbsp; =
Is there=20
another fix besides replacing the crank and pulley?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dejected in Rochester, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Erik L</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0146_01C1B870.344883A0--