Water Pump Install & 120A ALt swap was: (no subject)

> Nick wrote:
>
> I bought a new water pump for my Scirocco, how hard is it going to be
> to put on?!?
> Also I heard that an Audi 120amp alternator will fit on the Sciroccos,
> is this true? if so what Audi is it off of?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> 86 Scirocco 16v (new project)
> 01 Jetta VR6 (daily driver)

1. Waterpump comes in two halves, remove the whole thing and _then_
separate the halves, if you only have the outer half to work with as a
replacement. If you pull all the little bolts while it's on the motor
you run the risk of breaking them off in the back half of the pump. If
this Mk2 you have (16v and all) has A/C then it will be fun getting the
pump off, so I hear.

2. I pulled a 90A alt off of an Audi in the lot, the only thing I had to
worry about was the pulley offset. It's not too drastic to change
pulleys but it's a drag you don't want to have to do if you can avoid
it.

Stick a ruler on your existing Alt and note the distance from the mount
to the center of the pulley and the distance the pulley stands proud of
the alt itself. Use these two dimensions to verify your junkyard alt
will fit. (Didn't really give you a part number, did I?)

hth,
TBerk