DOH! speeding ticket, question about radar detection

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, ATS - Patrick Bureau wrote:

> since when a moving vehicule mounted with a radar detector system can clock
> an incoming car on the road? I was under the impression they had to be
> immobile to ensure that the reading is correctly read on a speeding
> vehicule.
Nope,

They now have speed sensors integrated into the radar, so that way it
subtracts the police vehicles speed from the total readout.

They are required to calibrate all this stuff on a regular basis, you
could plead innocent and try to make him bring all the paperwork to prove
that the radar was correctly calibrated, etc.

If you plead innocent, get a trial date set & show up, you have the right
to call witnesses, and, if the prosecution cannot produce witnesses
against you (read the policamen & whomever is in charge of calibrating the
radar guns) they have to dismiss charges. But more likely than not you'd
just tick off the judge & get the book thrown at you. Especially if you
didnt research what to do, as i'm sure TV lawyer antics would get you in
trouble ;)

Maybe if you insisted on a trial by jury, they would throw it out to avoid
the expense and hassle, as you, I think, are guranteed trial by jury if
you desire, but I could be way wrong on that, as im not a lawyer & that
recollection comes from long ago when I sped on the streets more.

FWIW, I've had 30+ moving violations (i told you i sped a lot when i was
younger) and, until recently, never had a point on my license. I always
figured the reduced insurance rates MORE than made up for the cost of a
lawyer having my moving violation changed to a non-moving.

to start a new thread: whats the worst speeding ticket(s) you ever got.
me, i got 4 tickets for 1 incident. i was doing donuts in a BIG EMPTY
suburban mall parking lot, burning a lot of rubber, and the police roughed
me up a bit, told my friends not to watch, made me pick up the papers he
spilled on his floor chasing me, and gave me 4 tickets at once. Careless
and imprudent, failure to stop for a stop sign, failure to maintain a
single lane, and 45 in a 15 MPH zone. All of this occured on private
property, though the property wasnt mine. Being roughed up, having
witnesses, and $600+ in lawyer/court fees got me off with a clean record.

take care,

Steve

             Fashion Twins, activate! form of: a lemming.
                      http://westfailure.org