front sway bar re-re-revisited

> All good points from Mr. Meze, as usual!  And yes, Daun's Nationals
> Winning FSP Mk1 rocco (that running yet Daun? :-)  A free non
> rusty Mk1
> with a history...you lucky duck :-) ) was running massive
> bars, front an
> rear.  Kevin Wenzel, the driver of that rocco, did extensive
> testing and
> found *for autocross* the front bars were a necessity.

Almost, but not quite. I've been talking with Kevin. He says he had
basically the reverse of a Shine setup. Softer front springs with a big
front bar. 600lb rear springs with NO rear bar. Obviously, this is a setup
that would be rather uncomfortable on the street.

IMHO, it comes back down to what everyone has been saying anyway. If you're
in a racing situation, you can do things with spring rates that can reduce
or eliminate the need for a anti-roll bar. On the street, where you want
some spring compliance, you can use sway bars to reduce body roll without
sacrificing a streetable ride quality. Thus, while my '77 will be sporting a
Wenzel/Mannix-inspired suspension, the '88 will retain stock front bar and
28mm rear bar on H&R springs.

Neal