'84 engine install update w/ questions.....

My car used to do the tach dance too. I went and cleaned all grounds and
surfaces with contact spray and emery cloth. Then added a ground right to the
fusebox from the battery and a second one to the engine using the cool double
nutted tranny bolt that come on Golfs
Are you saying the fuel pump does not run during cranking? I never had anyone
listen for sure but I think it turns on for a few seconds with the key on to
build pressure then waits for a tach signal to start up again. Since the main
injectors dont open until its running anyway I think the fuel pump is on the
load reduction circut. You could have also another bad relay, sometimes they
only work a little bit then quit when they get warmed up inside. For
troubleshooting sake you can jumper it and see if it runs like that.

Jasin
A1 16v swap shop