the lengths some people will go

Don't mean to be un-romantic, or state the obvious,
but the 300,000 limit is probably due to some bean-counter
at VW who decided to save the company 1/2 a Deutche Mark
per Digifiz by skimping out on the size of the memory chip
needed to store more than the #300,000!! Either that, or the main design
criteria for the Digifiz was to emulate the typical usefulness of
VDO odometers after 300,000 ;-)

Kareem
1981 Scirocco S
1988 Scirocco 16v