[Looking for new vw.]

"I was thinking something
like an old rabbit diesel.  How good are the engines in these Whats a goo=
price for a rabbit diesel?

Diesels rule.
Okay, for a Rabbit LS (little slow) I have no idea, except that my kid pa=
id
too much for his. =

As for the older diesel engines, I can't comment, but our LS has a newer =
non
turbo diesel swapped in, and my nephew has the same engine in his 90 Golf=
,
both too slow for my tastes. I actually test drove one in 87 and turned i=
right around shortly after I left the dealer's lot. I then bought a turbo=

diesel which I still have, my son drives it now. So I'd suggest doing an =
A2
with the turbo diesel version. I drove ours 380 000 kms, trouble free. It=
 has
just had a head gasket and a injection pump ( used from the junkers) done=
, and
otherwise, it's been a great car. So I've spent a fair chunk of my adult =
life
strapped into a diesel VW. For diesels, it's change the oil and timing be=
lt
regularily, if it won't cold start, replace some glow plugs, and just dri=
ve.
The daily drive is a TDI, and if I got another new one, it'd likely be a =
TDI (
or maybe a 1.8T...) Fuel economy is great, and so is reliability.

Suggested support of course is Fred's TDI forum (for any diesel) <
http://www.tdiclub.com>  They have lots of good info on how the dang thin=
gs
work.

HTH, sorry to be long winded, Cathy
81 Rabbit LS (son's)
87 Jetta Turbo diesel (bought new, son's now)
87 16V Rocco =

88 F150
99 NewBeetle TDI (chipped)
01 PT Cruiser (hubby's)