this might be the last straw

My guess would be that the crankshaft snapped (exactly why, who knows)
and that would cause a chain reaction of destruction to the engine.
This is just my guess since I've never worked on a VR6 but an engine is
an engine when it all boils down so this looks like the best explination
since I can't see the timing chains having enough strength to snap a
crankshaft.  They would snap before a tempered shaft anyday.

William