Bentley tells me I'm screwed if I disconnect A/C lines???

Hey all,

While removing the engine from my 84'Scirocco, I disconnected the two air
conditioning lines that run into the compressor(after venting the freon into
a propane tank).  There was a very slight "whoosh" when I disconnected them,
and after that it seemed all good. However, I later read through my bentley,
and it states: "do not loosen or disconnect any of the refrigerant hose
connections.  If you do, it will make necessary costly and time-consuming
air conditioning repairs" - straight out of the Bentley.  Anybody know why I
can't just hook it back up and recharge?  what "repairs" exactly?  I had to
remove the compressor because it is going to go into my '83 which has the
earlier style "big, boxy, ugly, inefficient" compressor. What should I do
when I disconnect the compressor on the '83?????  Please help, I hope to
have my A/C ready for this summer.

please help-
Rob