valve stem seal replacement

Hey list...

I'm getting my hands dirty replacing the valve stem seals on my Fox (1.8L,
Hydro lifters) and am quite lost. Admittedly, I've never really delved this
far into an engine, and was hoping something would become apparent as I
progressed.

Well, I don't have a clue as to what I should be doing here. The diagrams in
the Bentley assumes someone has done this job, or at least sort of knows
what they're doing.

Yeah, so what's up here? I got the valve spring compressor to compress so
the valve is now sticking into the combustion chamber (the head is off the
engine), and can't really figure out what else to do..

Help?

Tanks,
-Dave
'88 Foxwagen