car audio amplifier <kinda scirocco oriented>

NastyRican1021@aol.com wrote:

> the remote wire on my reciever unit isnt working so i need to get the
> 12v from somewhere else. I had the remote wire going into a vacant
> spot on the fuses and that worked for a little while but not no
> more....anybody got any idea where i can connect it to...how is your
> scirocco set up? thanks
> jose

Jose, (and everybody in general),

There are two 12v feeds associated w/ Amps; one is the switch and the
other is the 12v power supply to run the thing. I hope you are talking
about the remote switch, that you are not also looking to run the amp
off this same 12v. The reason I ask is I have seen folks use the remote
turn on coming out of the Radio to power the amp, and since it can't
handle the amp draw out that lead, it fries that part of the radio.

So, the thing to do is run a good size wire to the battery's PLUS side,
in line fuse on the battery side (near the battery end of the wire).
Then run a long lead from the amp to the radio.

Now, if your radio is not putting out an Amp ON signal any more then:

A. Switch on dash or console. One time switch w/ relay is my favorite
way to do this, need a schematic? It works thusly: Press button and
relay clicks, power available to amp. Turn Ign off and relay delatches,
amp off.

B. There is a 12v power from fuse box to dash that you can use (most hot
all the time wires are RED, most switched is Black OR yellow, but not
always) but if you don't have an 81 like me I'd have to look it up. Of
course a convenient one runs though the Ign switch but I dislike putting
any more load on something that might not like it down the road.

Contact me off list if you want more details.

hth,
TBerk