OT: C & D and other magazines

--=====================_21222135==_.ALT

At 04:38 PM 1/31/2002, UrGTI@aol.com wrote:
>I was looking though a buddies library of car mags and I think it was R&T
>where they are testing a 16v rocco and you can clearly spot the 50mm intake
>in the pics of the engine bay. I cant remember it it had A/C  or not but my
>memory  is leaning towards not.

Oh yeah -- all of the magazines do.  Now, mind you, most of them used stock=
=20
VW photos -- but if you look closely at the R&T photo (which was not a VW=20
pic), that baby's a 50mm intake.

Now, is it any wonder noone can duplicate 0-60mph runs in 8s flat (or 7.7s=
=20
as per R&T) with a stock 1.8?!  If they put the 50mm intake on, it wouldn't=
=20
surprise me that they also did other internal engine mods -- for all we=20
know, it could be a 2.0 with a Euro cam and Euro FI.

It's my understanding now that the car magazines get their test cars from=20
an independent company -- not the manufacturer directly.  (Ever notice how=
=20
all the magazines have the identical car in the same issue??)  So=20
thankfully, that problem has been solved...

Jason

----------
1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v   [7.4s 0-60; was 8.7s with the 1.8]
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport 2.0  [9.5s 0-60, but it's Euro-spec so no torque!]
1994 Golf III GL 2.0  [11.7s 0-60 -- WOOHOO!!!]

http://www.scirocco16v.org

"In the olden days, a good flame war could go on for weeks or months, with=
=20
hot invective flying around like rhetorical shrapnel. It was high art, high=
=20
entertainment. Though tempers flared hot and professional bridges were=20
sometimes irreparably burned, ultimately it was a game =97 a participatory=
=20
sport in which the audience awarded points for felicitous disparagements,=20
particularly well-worded putdowns, inspired squelches."  -- Christopher=20
Locke, "The Cluetrain Manifesto".
--=====================_21222135==_.ALT

At 04:38 PM 1/31/2002, UrGTI@aol.com wrote:<br>
library of car mags and I think it was R&amp;T <br>
where they are testing a 16v rocco and you can clearly spot the 50mm
intake <br>
in the pics of the engine bay. I cant remember it it had A/C&nbsp; or not
but my <br>
memory&nbsp; is leaning towards not. </blockquote><br>
Oh yeah -- all of the magazines do.&nbsp; Now, mind you, most of them
used stock VW photos -- but if you look closely at the R&amp;T photo
(which was not a VW pic), that baby's a 50mm intake. <br><br>
Now, is it any wonder noone can duplicate 0-60mph runs in 8s flat (or
7.7s as per R&amp;T) with a stock 1.8?!&nbsp; If they put the 50mm intake
on, it wouldn't surprise me that they also did other internal engine mods
-- for all we know, it could be a 2.0 with a Euro cam and Euro
FI.<br><br>
It's my understanding now that the car magazines get their test cars from
an independent company -- not the manufacturer directly.&nbsp; (Ever
notice how all the magazines have the identical car in the same
issue??)&nbsp; So thankfully, that problem has been solved...<br><br>
Jason<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<hr>
1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v&nbsp;&nbsp; [7.4s 0-60; was 8.7s with the=20
1.8]<br>
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport 2.0&nbsp; [9.5s 0-60, but it's Euro-spec so no
torque!]<br>
1994 Golf III GL 2.0&nbsp; [11.7s 0-60 -- WOOHOO!!!]<br><br>
&quot;In the olden days, a good flame war could go on for weeks or
months, with hot invective flying around like rhetorical shrapnel. It was
high art, high entertainment. Though tempers flared hot and professional
bridges were sometimes irreparably burned, ultimately it was a game =97 a
participatory sport in which the audience awarded points for felicitous
disparagements, particularly well-worded putdowns, inspired
squelches.&quot;&nbsp; -- Christopher Locke, &quot;The Cluetrain
Manifesto&quot;.</html>