Special Coil, what's so special about it ?

    Last week there was some discussion on replacement coils with higher
output voltage (40kv).  I know this discussion may have started with the 16v
coil but I wanted to see if a higher voltage coil would work in an 8v.  The
higher voltage would help spark, idle, burn, etc.
    Well, Bentley states that the 8v, with breakerless ignition, has a
'Special Coil'.  Bentley further states that 'under no circumstances should
a coil other than VW part #211 905 115 B, the special coil, be used with the
breakerless ignition'
    What makes this coil so 'Special'.  Has anyone used an after market,
high voltage coil on their 8v breakerless ignition?
Rick Kellner
84 8v
    The Bently I am refering to is the 80-84 Rabbit, Scirocco, Jetta Service
Manual. Chapter 5, page 15.