(ot) '96 gli?

Are you in Canada?  I can't say for sure for Canada, but in the US we
had the GL, GLS, Trek, TDI and GLX in 96.  GL and Trek has 2.0, GLS has
2.0 with power windows, locks, etc.  The GLX is the VR6 Jetta.  97 was
the first year for the GT.  In the US, we had the A2 GLI until 92.  For
2002, VW brought back the GLI model, but with the 24V VR6.

Mike