Removing 16v kit (permenantly)...

--- joshhignight@techography.net wrote:
> What's under there? I really miss the "8v" body style of my 85'. The kit on
> the 87' is cool, I guess, but it lacks the coolness of the simple un-molested
> Scirocco mkII body.

 Hey Josh...

  The 16v body kit is quite permanent... in my experience, you will have the
most trouble with the fenders.  The glue is very strong and will almost
certainly take some paint with it when you try to get it off.  The side skirts
and front and rear valance are screwed in place and have some glue attaching
them to the fender pieces.  There will be a few screw holes left, but the more
I think about it, maybe not more than a few...
so the biggest issue I can think of is that glue holding the fender pieces on.
If you could remove it safely without affecting the paint... then I think
you would be ok.  I think that using a heat gun would really help with removing
that glue safely.
Has anyone sucessfully removed this glue without disturbing the paint?

Oh, and don't forget the lower door mold pieces that are glued too...

I like that clean look too... 16v sleeper...  ;)

Good luck

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v