speedo accuracy

--part1_73.2a95d9a5.2b2d3a64_boundary

How about just timing a measured mile and make up a deviation chart.  Or just
keep a mental note of actual speed at your favorite crusing speed.
Here is CA, many freeways have "tick" marks on the right side of the pavement
that are painted in exactly one mile distances.  They are white, maybe 6" by
24".  The "eye in the sky" uses it to time us and radio the land bound CHiPs
to pull us over to issue us our speeding tickets.  I use them all the time to
double check the my speedo.  All you need is a watch that shows seconds.  As
you pass by the "tick", note your time in seconds, when you pass by the next
"tick", note the seconds that  passed.

Here is a chart with speed Vs. time.

Speed (MPH) Time(sec) for a mile
50  72.00
51  70.59
52  69.23
53  67.92
54  66.67
55  65.45
56  64.29
57  63.16
58  62.07
59  61.02
60  60.00
61  59.02
62  58.06
63  57.14
64  56.25
65  55.38
66  54.55
67  53.73
68  52.94
69  52.17
70  51.43
71  50.70
72  50.00
73  49.32
74  48.65
75  48.00
76  47.37
77  46.75
78  46.15
79  45.57
80  45.00
81  44.44
82  43.90
83  43.37
84  42.86
85  42.35
86  41.86
87  41.38
88  40.91
89  40.45
90  40.00

The formula is MPH equals 3600 divided by seconds.

Have fun and drive safely.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
http://members.aol.com/sailingfc/

--part1_73.2a95d9a5.2b2d3a64_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">How about just timing a measured mile and make up a deviation chart.&nbsp; Or just keep a mental note of actual speed at your favorite crusing speed.<BR>
Here is CA, many freeways have "tick" marks on the right side of the pavement that are painted in exactly one mile distances.&nbsp; They are white, maybe 6" by 24".&nbsp; The "eye in the sky" uses it to time us and radio the land bound CHiPs to pull us over to issue us our speeding tickets.&nbsp; I use them all the time to double check the my speedo.&nbsp; All you need is a watch that shows seconds.&nbsp; As you pass by the "tick", note your time in seconds, when you pass by the next "tick", note the seconds that&nbsp; passed.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Here is a chart with speed Vs. time.<BR>
<BR>
Speed (MPH) Time(sec) for a mile<BR>
50  72.00<BR>
51  70.59<BR>
52  69.23<BR>
53  67.92<BR>
54  66.67<BR>
55  65.45<BR>
56  64.29<BR>
57  63.16<BR>
58  62.07<BR>
59  61.02<BR>
60  60.00<BR>
61  59.02<BR>
62  58.06<BR>
63  57.14<BR>
64  56.25<BR>
65  55.38<BR>
66  54.55<BR>
67  53.73<BR>
68  52.94<BR>
69  52.17<BR>
70  51.43<BR>
71  50.70<BR>
72  50.00<BR>
73  49.32<BR>
74  48.65<BR>
75  48.00<BR>
76  47.37<BR>
77  46.75<BR>
78  46.15<BR>
79  45.57<BR>
80  45.00<BR>
81  44.44<BR>
82  43.90<BR>
83  43.37<BR>
84  42.86<BR>
85  42.35<BR>
86  41.86<BR>
87  41.38<BR>
88  40.91<BR>
89  40.45<BR>
90  40.00<BR>
<BR>
The formula is MPH equals 3600 divided by seconds.<BR>
<BR>
Have fun and drive safely.<BR>
<BR>
-Dick-<BR>