rear axle beam differences?

> Whether the stub axles bend before the beam depends on what incident
> caused the problem.
> If you hit a curb head-on, probably the stub axles would bend.
> If another vehicle smacks you in the side (t-bones you), then the beam
> would most likely bend rather than the stub axles.
> What's the history of the car?

Larry,

The car has been essentially t-boned twice. Once in the right rear quarter
panel (and probably the wheel) and once on the bumper. Both at very low
speeds (probably 5 mph the first time (i wasn't there), 1 mph the second
time). The first happened before I bought the car (it was the only silver
16v i could find for sale, and I wanted one soo bad), the second was an
idiot in a parking lot who started pulling out of their space while I was
stopped in front of their spot. I still, to this day, can't believe that
anyone could be so stupid as to drive directly in to the end of the bumper
of the car directly in front of them.. when both cars were initially
stopped.

Anyway, from your description is sounds like the axle beam is probably
bent, and who knows about the stub axles.. they might be as well..

So I've got a beam and stub axles from a '78 rabbit (drum brakes) that has
never been hit. I'm assuming they're straight (I will check before I put
them in, of course)..

Will this combo bolt right up or are the stub axles different for
different types of brakes?

Did these rear beams ever come pre-drilled for the rear sway bar on
non-Scirocco-16v cars or am I looking at a definite drilling and tapping
of that hard metal.

Thanks

-Toby