Starter bushing removal?

Neal,

The removal is the easy part :) Have fun getting the new sucker back in.

To remove it, there are several methods:
1) find an appropriately sized tap and thread it in to the hole. It will
   force the bushing out as it threads in and hits the back of the hole.
   You could also tap it them get a bolt of the same size and thread (less
   damaging to the hole, in theory)
2) find an object (like a punch) that has the same outer diameter as the
   bushing's inner diameter. fill bushing hole with grease, insert object
   inside bushing, hit object with hammer to use hydraulic pressure to
   force the bushing out.
3) rent/borrow an actual starter bushing puller from a local vw shop.

I've done both #1 and #3.

As far as installing the new bushing, I had one hell of a time.. the o.d.
of the bushing was too large for the hole (about 0.5mm bigger) and I had
to go back to the store and buy more of them because they kept mushrooming
when I pounded them in to the hole. I finally resorted to drilling the
hole out (I /think/ it was a 17/32" drill bit that I used) just a little
bit, such that the bushing was still a very snug fit but I was able to
just tap it in lightly with oil. The important part is that its snug
enough that it won't spin in its hole. You want the starter shaft spinning
inside it only.

I was sure happy when I finally got it in! What a headache!! And all
because of that bright red piece of paper that came with my rebuilt
starter...

HTH

-Toby