how feasible is an 8v piston swap?(8.5:1 to 10:1)

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:49:40 -0800 (PST) Robbie Cotner <robw_z@yahoo.com>
writes:

> Hey all,
> I rebuilt my 1.8 JH 8v engine about 8k ago.  Now I wish I would've
> installed some 10:1 pistons.  I recently came across a set for
> $50(is that a good price?),

New? Awesome price. Used, depends on condition.

> and was wondering how feasible it would
> be to install them in my '83 Scirocco.  Can I just remove the head
> and oil pan, disconnect the rods, push the old pistons(not
> oversized) up out the block, then put the 10:1 pistons(think they're
> from a GTI) with new rings onto the old rods and reassemble?

it can be as simple as that. The more detail you do now the longer this
motor will last. if you just drop the new pistons in dont expect 50K out
of it before you have noticable running/performance issues.

>  Would I have to rehone?

No. You dont HAVE to do anything but I highly recomend you do. Especially
considering that you are HERE, why not do it? Might take a few extra
hours is all. The goal is to make it as good as possible? Why do a
halfass job?

> Should I replace the rod bearings and bolts even
> though they only have 8k?

I would but thats just me. This is a decision you must make on your own.

> How much more HP can I expect by going to 10:1?

Expect the stock 100hp from a RD block. Slightly less since the motor
isnt as tight as a rated RD motor. Then maybe more depending on what
other mods you have.

> Should I use the 10:1 wrist pins or the current ones?

Use the pins that are on the pistons your gonna use. Inspect them for
wear, if none, use em.

> Is this a very common mod?(that's usually a fair indicator of if it's
> worth it or not).  Wow that was a lot of questions!  thanks in
> advance, every little bit of info/opinions helps!-
> Rob

Its a very common mod. I installed 8v 10-1 pistons in my PL block thats
in my 84 with a solid lifter head and alot of other mods. It put 109hp to
the wheels, untuned.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -AS- #30  2002 SDR Solo2 Champion
Scirocco" 84' Scirocco 8V 82' Scirocco RIP 80' Scirocco S 79' "Project
FSP
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com