CIS starting problem

The car in question here is the 88 cabriolet (quickly becoming a headache=
...just bought it less than 2 months ago and already had to replace the a=
lternator, and now this mess...), anyway the car would not start last nig=
ht.  It cranks fine, so it's not the battery (has 12.7V so it's fine).  I=
 haven't checked for spark yet, but i don't think that is the problem bec=
ause everything from the coil forward is brand new.

Here's what i have checked.  When i turn the ignition on, there is no aud=
ible hum from the fuel pump.  Pulling the relay and jumping terminals 87+=
30 also yeilds no hum from the fuel pump.  A check of power at the fuel p=
ump relay terminals 2 to ground and 4 to ground reveals 12V so the relay =
is getting power.  A check from terminal 2 to 1 and 4 to 1 gives 12V so t=
he relay is grounding fine.  So i'm suspecting the fuel pump is shot...

Now when i try to start the car it will stay running as long as i hold th=
e key in the start position and give it gas (At which time I can also hea=
r the fuel or transfer pump humming).  As soon as i cease either of these=
 two, the car dies again.  So i'm thinking the fuel pump is shot and the =
humming that i hear when cranking is the transfer pump.  Is this possible=
/plausible?

I haven't checked the cold start valve yet or the thermo-time switch beca=
use i don't have a helper until later tonight when my girlfriend gets hom=
e :(  (same reason i haven't checked for spark).

Any Ideas or Confirmation of a bad fuel pump or what else i should check?=

Thanks!

Doug C.
'88 16v
Asheville, NC