If my fender is becoming very rusty in that it developed a hole do I just replace the fender?(long)

http://camo.flage.net/albums/albuo48/PC030054.jpg
This is the pic of what somewhat my fender looks like.
 Its already dented so I was already going to do
something about that.  THere is some surface rust on
the door which I could just sand down, but the fender
part looks really bad.  I dunno how well the pics tell
it, but it looks bad in person.  It looks like if I
just replace the whole fender I won't have to deal
with a rusty fender.  Also I don't have pics of this,
but I know for a FACT that there are flaws from when
my car was hit on the passenger side.  THe angle where
the below the spoiler is a little to rounnd compared
to the other side.  If I ever do body work on my
Scirocco does it mean re doing the complete rear
passenger side?  I think that is why there is a slight
crack under the bumper and the wipe squirter does not
work.

IF you want to know why my other rim isn't on the
drivers side wheel he is a post I made on the .org
forums:
My front driveside tire in my Scirocco shredded
d\today. I didn't even notice it until driving on
COunty Line Rd TOday when the whole car was rattling,
but when I saw rubber fly in the air I knew what
happened. I envisioned this for some reason. I am glad
I read the things about what to do when your tire
shreds, since I had to keep control of the car going
slowly and I pulled over. I couldn't lift the car with
a regualr jack on grass. . But I had to walk to some
house nearby, to borrow a floor jack and put the spare
tire on. Next time I should keep a floor jack in my
trunk. I could have walked to my house, but it would
have taken longer. I know have a spare tire on it,
that needs air.
http://camo.flage.net/albums/albuo48/PC030055.jpg

=====
-Andrew Wong