Need help with B3 Passat ignition

1990 Passat Auto

For a week or so the car would randomly sputter while I was driving it whenever I changed
throttle position..but would go away completely or only happen whgen I really stepped on
it....well it decided to get worse yesterday and drive like it was on two or three
cylinders for the most part....the only thing I can directly compare it to is when my
Scirocco engine gets wet and I have to rev the engine until it finally starts to run on
all four cylinders again.

Then at 5:30 this morning it just quit on my way to work...after towing it home I took a
look at it and determined that there was absolutely no spark....I changed the spark plugs
and checked and cleaned all of the ignition wires

I then added some new ground wires...that never hurts....no change.....

I then took out my Scirocco coil and hooked that up which made no difference but in the
process I noticed there is some small diode/regulator?? looking package attached next to
the coil that the coil wires come out of....what is this thing?  I am hoping that this
might be the issue

when I started messing with the coil and surrounding wires I did start to get some signs
of spark when I turned it over...where the engine would rumble a little but never really
start.

I am thinking that this diode/regulator thing on the side of the coil may be the
culprit...if not what else is in the ignition controls that could be causing this???

there always seems to be fuel so I am pretty sure it is a spark issue

thanks for the help....I just bought this thing and now I am getting the I told you so
from my wife.....I have to get this back on the road

TIA

=====
Michael Leach--Elmira,NY
87 16v all red the only real Scirocco color
01 Chevy Venture Warner Bros Ed...sweet ICE....(4 kids)
84 Jetta 2-Door  the little orphan with a bad heart waiting for
a new home and transplant  BUY ME!!!
90 Passat GL Auto needs a little reconstructive surgery on its behind
85 Scirocco step-child loud + ugly but reliable...so I must sell it BUY ME TOO!!!