Battery Relocation...Grounding

VW uses one cable to ground both the chassis and the engine block, which
is electrically isolated from the chassis by rubber motor/trans mounts.
The alternative would be two ground cables from the battery, or a cable
that ran from chassis ground to the engine block ground.  The single cable
solution is more reliable, cheaper and easier to install.

As far as the grounds on the negative terminal, one of these will be your
ignition module/knock box (if equipped.)  Grounding the control unit to
the battery directly gives it a good reliable ground.  Other than that
there shouldn't be a reason why you couldn't ground it at a good chassis
ground.

Drew

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Brandon Smith wrote:

> Okay, so while doing my battery location I noticed that VW grounded
> from the negative terminal to both the Body and the Engine block.
> Why did they ground out twice??? I've noticed this on a lot of VWs
> including a 99 Golf.  Secondly, if I originally had a couple of
> accessory wires on the negative terminal (they look stock and can't
> find where they go to) would it be okay if I just grounded the battery
> in the back and then grounded those accessory wires to the body up
> front?
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Brando

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel