Power loss, questionable mechanics.. WTF?

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Allyn wrote:

> note: low pressure at fuel distributor may have been caused by stuck open
> injector. first, get some $ back from that shop or tell them to fix it
> right. it should at least run better than it did when you brought it to
> the shop, especially after
> $500. at least its firing on all cylinders now. second, get someone else
> to check compression.

Al,

I have done both (told them to fix it right, and getting credit back for
some of the work) so I'm OK in that department.  I will have someone else do
a compression test before agreeing to (more) expensive work.  I have to say
I was nonplussed when the mechanic's "testing" to make sure the car ran okay
was to drive it around the block.  That'll check for power loss, yessir!

As far as low compression on cyl. #4, it's probably valves or something of
that nature, because the car doesn't burn any oil.  I do idly wonder if a
valve might be what's jingling at odd RPMs (usually around 2800rpm).

ian