[tech]: dropping an engine w/o a hoist?

IMPORTANT NOTE SAFETY WARNING..
FAILURE TO FOLLOW CAN RESULT IN EXTREME PAIN, INJURY OR attempted DEATH.

When using this method to remove the motor. Make sure you loop the nylon
straps about the 2x4 mount several times more than 10 (2-3 time doesnt
have enough friction to hold). while your getting
everything loose. once everything is loose. Remember you forgot something.
the rear motor mount WILL get hung somewhere in the back of the engine
compartment.

<story>
My paranoia saved my ass. we had the motor loose of all the bolts. I had a
single or double loop followed with a clove hitch figuring it'd hold. as
long as ron held onto the straps... well I forgot to tell ron he needed to
hang on to em. so i look underneath and see the rear motor mount hung on
the bracket. I get ron to hand me a big ass screwdriver you know the 2.5
foot one. my head is in the wheel well i go poking around and the 8v
engine w/ tranny comes loose and FALLS with great acceration 9.8m/s^2 -
some small friction given by the nylon straps. I dropped everything and
got out as fast as i could... the only thing that was injured was me from
hittng the car. it could have been my head under the tranny. (oh yeah that
got me a little on the arm.) Paranoia taught me never to put my head under
large heavy objects that dont have metal holdin em in place.... Ive done
junkyard diving too much to risk shit like that.
</story>

anyway.
when you build your 2x4 truss above the car. in an H pattern. so that it
fits inside the fenders on the fender rails. (see Ron's and other ppls).
Ratcheting motorcycle straps make raising a motor easy. use at least 3 4
is better and you can get them at WalMart. the 1" wide ones.

Lowering the motor.
while the motor is still in place wrap the straps around the engine/tranny
assy. while the motor is still firmly attacted. in at least 2 places. then
make several loops with each strap around the 2x4 cross truss. then take
the ends and attach them to an immoveable object like the tow hook on
your other A1 or telephone pole etc. if you have nothing to attach it to
just wrap it like 10 time or so making sure to wrap it across itself to
provide additional friction.

Put a floor jack / jack stands under the motor incase something unexpected
happens.

remove motor mounts (im assuming that is all that is left) Remove the
bracket that the rear mount mounts to as well. thats what almost killed
me.

get the hell out from underneath.

put an old tire underneath (no rim) or plywood etc.

remove underneath supports with somehting other than a body part.

check to make sure the straps are holding.

find out where the motor is hung.

shake like mad.

motor will loosen then drop some distance. the reason you are using nylon
is that it streches. and will slow it without damaging anything.

at this point the ends of the straps should be disconnected from the
immovable object. or the somebody should get in the car and slowly let the
motor down.

if the motor fails to drop undo one loop at a time on each strap until the
motor slides down slowly.
or get out of the way and let go.

scirocco love.
Brian