Need Suspension Answers

>From: Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>

>Allyn wrote:
> >
> > first off, those springs sound like they are progressive rate (as
>opposed to a
> > constant #400).
>
>Depends on how the spring is wound. If there is a sharp transition in
>the winding and it is correctly designed for the application all the
>tight coils will bind from the weight of the car and it will be
>effectively single rate.

? can't you have correctly designed progressive rate springs? that don't
bind from the weight of the car?

> > as for being loose in the perch, that will happen and is normal for
>aftermarket
> > lowering springs.
>
>I disagree. The whole purpose of the tight coils is to keep the spring
>seated with the suspension extended and if the spring is even half close
>to being correctly designed for the application it will not be loose in
>the seat. I suspect that they are not tight in this application due to
>the fact they are A2 springs on an A1.

i've had several a1 designed springs that sat loose in the perch--if you
lower the car at all with a higher spring weight, they *can't* be tight.  i
think the purpose of the tight coils is that they compress easier than the
loose coils, so you get a progressive weight. non-progressive weight
lowering springs don't have the loose coild.

-michael