more suspension

$1500 for coilovers?  Have you actually priced them?  I recently paid
$1200 for Ground Control coilovers including a pair of front camber
plates for an E30 325is.  This setup is amazing (ask Christian Els ;-)
I wouldn't think you'd have to pay anymore than $1000 without the camber
plates.  If I remember correctly, the spring kit (Eibach race - you
specify your spring rates) including threaded perches (height
adjustability) was $399 and the Koni adjustables were a bit over $500
from SF Motorsports (GH Sharp - fellow autocrosser).  The Potterman
should be able to get a great deal on Koni SA's for VWs.

If this car is used just for the street, you really don't need anything
as expensive.  When I had my 88 Scirocco 16V, I ordered H&R Sports and
Boge TurboGas from the Potterman.  This setup works great for the street
with a nice lowered stance and only cost $450 at the time including new
strut bearings.  This was a few years ago, so expect $500 or so.
Excellent setup for the price.

Hope that helps.

Mike
82 RoccoVert - Ruflus
85 GTI - daily beater (before the A/C died, that is - heh!)
88 325is - puked antifreeze all over my garage today