Pre-A1/A1 Strut bearings (was: Strut bearing replacement)

--0-1835506500-1030070282=:48940

OK - I've been informed that I basically need a spring compressor to get to these though.
Is there any "junk-yard-hack" method of getting these off? I mean getting a spring compressor (which I dont own) to a junk yard and not to mention turning it by hand (can you actually do that? I always had air tools around) seems a bit much...
Can they be cut safely? Would a $10 hacksaw with some decent blades do the trick? I know I could drop the $40 for a portable MAPP gas torch, but when would I ever use THAT again? Either way, I have a feeling the answer is no...
Is it worth buying the whole strut if that's what I have to do?
Thanks for the input, Ron -  Jeff
 'Cheapass' Ron Pieper wrote:--- Jeff Toomasson wrote:
> I've noticed several people recommended getting these housings (?)
> from an
> early Rabbit or Dasher.

One of those would be me...

>Are these really worth it?

Yup.

> I happened to have found a 76 Rabbit and two Dashers all in one yard
> and am wondering if I should grab these things...got a 16v and a
>Cabby that will both need replacing soon...

Grab 'em! With whatever aftermarket poly bushings you choose, these
things are pretty much bulletproof. I have them and love them.
Steering effort seems a bit lighter, too...

=====
Cheapass Ron
'87 Scirocco 16Victor
Pet Peeve du jour: It's GTI not GTi!! Read the nameplate! (US only)