Another Oil Pressure Problem

<snip Rick>
If this engine is running on it's original build
then the squirters will not be an issue. They only would come under scrutiny
if they had been removed for block cleaning. If it's the bearings it most
likely will not be sudden like you have described. So that leaves me
thinking it's the gauges or the pump. Have you changed anything electrically
that would make the gauges act differently such as improving the grounds or
changing the alternator?
<end snip>

Nope, no recent changes.  Ground improvements were made in May or June, so
that seems like too much of a delay.  The engine's never had any major
engine work done (about 150k miles total), so I guess it's not the
squirters.  I'll double check the pressure with a mechanical meter this
weekend.  If that's not it, is there a good test for the oil pump or is it
just R&R and keep your fingers crossed?  Another question, the oil pressure
used to read 2 bar at 2000 rpm (that's spec according to Bentley).  But at
idle, full warm, it would read about .7 bar (~9 psi).  It's been like that
for a couple years without any change over time, but is that too low and a
sign that the bearings have been worn for awhile?

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II