Extra alternator part ?

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Ken B
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 4:41 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Extra alternator part ?

On the back of my 90 A alternator there is another little square black
piece. about 3/4x3/4x1/2 with a little pigtail that plugs in to a small
spade connector.  Looks like some kind nois supressor or something.

Exactly! It's a capacitor...

  This
was on my old one but did not come on the reman I just bought from
BowWow.
This new unit was only giving 12.2V but that was w/o this little piece.
Havn't tried it with it on.  Would that be the problem?  I am about to
try
and exchange this faulty (?) alt.
Thanks as always
Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion "...it's working....It's WORKING...!"
tracing electrical gremlins now...
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"

No, not having the capacitor hooked up, would not cause the low voltage,
it would just increase the noise through the stereo.

What condition are all the cables, connections, and the battery in?

Peter