more cheap tricks (shift linkage)

--- "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Is this a 16v thing (to clear the downpipe or something?) or is it
> just
> some random mutation that my car has?

Well, I have never seen one like you describoe...perhaps a PO tried to
make a short shift?

FWIW, I once did an in-a-pinch cheapass repair...the rubber ball was
totally chewed up, and I had no way to get anywhere to get a
replacement.  So I cut a short length of heater hose, and JB Welded it
to the knurled shaft that the rubber ball usually goes on.  Worked so
well I forgot it was there for nearly a year...

Also, a cheapass short-shift can be made by shortening your shifter
(the one in the car) rod...run an M12-1.50 die down the existing
threads and onto the uncut part of the shaft.  Go no more than 1".
Remove it, and hacksaw your 3/4" or 1" or whatever off.

=====
Cheapass Ron
'87 Scirocco 16Victor
Pet Peeve du jour:  It's GTI not GTi!!  Read the nameplate!  (US only)