[16v] low end torque (or the lack thereof)

> Is your distributor leaking oil into the innards? Mine was when I got the
> car. The timing was set wayyyyy advanced from the book settings, but if I
> set it properly, it was a toss-up between my Rocco and Granny's tricycle. My
> fuel mixture was pretty good, I experimented and found an optimal point.
> Still so-so.

The distributor was replaced with a brand new unit from parts4vws
including cap and rotor last year. It *WAS* leaking oil like crazy before
that.

I've always wondered, though.. if I made it in to the right mounting holes
in the head and if the orientation is correct. Maybe someone could check
that on their motor for me and tell me whether its the set of holes like /
or like \ ... hmm.

I doubt the car would start with the dist 180 off.. but it might if it was
180 off AND the wrong set of holes.

> Eventually, I switched to a 2.0l 16V motor, 'cuz the 1.8 16V got to knokkin'
> a rod.
> This engine was installed and set up by a meticulous, knowledgeable pro, one
> who I totally trust from other work he has done, and from conversations
> about cars in general (Karmakanix in Berkeley). Still, doggy-poo at book
> setting, and so-so at wayyyyyy too advanced.

*drool* 2.0l

> Then... One day I read a post on this list about leaking distributors
> causing my symptoms. I forked over the bux for a new one, set timing by the
> book, and haven't looked back, except in the rearview for Da Man. Now she
> has most excellent low-end torque, and it just gets better as it spins up.
> Certainly the 2.0l makes better torque than the 1.8, but I attribute the new
> distributor with making a huge difference in drivebility and power.
> The oil gets into the Hall Sensor inside the dist., and ruins it's signal to
> the brain. More so than Killer Ganja on a human brain, and you know how slow
> we can get...

Well, I will definitely look in to the dist and hall sender and make sure
they are functioning well.

Thanks

-Toby

> Roccin' Ron
> '88 Scirocco 2.1l Waterboxer
> '88 Vanagon 2.0l 16V
> '02 Passat Wagon 1.8t Wife Pleaser
>
> -Oh, wait, must be that darn Ganja, coulda sworn the 16V was in the 'Rocco
> ????
>   I'll be back, gonna check. pfffft, mmmmm, was sure it was, uuhhh, hmmm
> pffft.....

hahah