Quaife (operation of a quaife)

Actually, if you think about it, most of the time you're not going
straight and there is some small amount of differential action. But,
your point it still valid in that most of the time the loads are low and
the relative speeds of the gears are low.
Even under high load with large differential action (autocrossing!) the
speeds of the gears in the Quaife are still low. A rough calculation
yields a rotational speed of only ~210 RPM for the small gears and ~70
RPM for the large gears inside the diff case. This is nothing in
relative terms compared to the tranny gears that spin at engine speed.
Because the gears have a high helix angle it take a lot of force to make
them turn cause most of the force is trying to bend the gear tooth as
opposed to trying to turn the gear. So, high tooth loads, low speeds
and, of course, high loads on the face of the gears.
Wear is minimized despite the high loads since there are a lot of gears
in that little space to share the load and, of course all the parts are
hardened steel.
Dan