Rattle at high RPM/full throttle?

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, T Berk wrote:

> It surely sounds like ping. What is your degrees of advance (on the
> Distributor) set to? As in what's your timing like?
>
> How about you run a good bottle of injector cleaner through on a 1/4
> tank of gas? (don't run too hard until you thin it out with some more
> fresh gas), that way you can 'clear it's throat', so to speak.

Will try some good injector cleaner; I haven't used any since I got the car
nearly a year ago.

Timing is bone stock, or at least it *should* be (I took it to a dealer a
few months back to have it tuned, or whatever "major service" is -- they
weren't very specific, but it was obscenely expensive), and I hadn't done
anything but keep it stock when it started pinging.  All that's non-stock
now is a TT exhaust.

ian Butler / ian@hplx.net
'88 Scirocco 16v, '87 Syncro GL