[tech] Help diagnosing an 8V?

> Ah, yes, the idle speed boost valve, according to Mr. Bentley.  Thanks for
> setting me straight.  (Interestingly enough, I can hear the valve click when
> the engine stumbles...)

Hmmm....I'd have to see why that would do that....

> The frequency valve does not sound like it's changing at all.

Well there goes my whole theory out the window.  BUT, I would still like
you to hook up the dwell meter to the test plug and find out what the
Jetronic is doing.

> When it's idling in a "healthy" fashion, hitting the full throttle switch
> makes the idle speed go up a bit, but no other affect.  When it's idling
> poorly, hitting the full throttle switch seems to have no effect.  It might
> run *slightly* less rough, but it's still unappy.  If I hold the switch down
> while it's healthy, it eventually does stumble as it would without the
> switch.

Hmmm....very curious.  When you hit the switch, do you hear the frequency
valve change pitch?  Sounds like the car is stumbling because the mixture
IS fluctuating...but might not...the dwell meter readings will be key
here.

Check all your vacuum lines, and try unplugging the OXY sensor.  Let me
know what unplugging it results in and what you find on the dwell meter
hooked to the test port on the Jetronic harness (proceedure is in the
Bentley)

> I also noted that it's become more difficult to start, now.
>
> Does any of this help?

Sorta :-)  What did you find with the Coldstart valve?  Is it leaking?

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport (400cc, 4 cyl, OHC 8v, 10k RPM redline *grin*)
80 Scirocco (FOR SALE $500)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
87 Suzuki Samurai JX Hardtop (Soon to be VW Turbo Diesel Powered)

-Kelli Fox