[tech] Help diagnosing an 8V?

Check the wiring to the full throttle switch.  I've brokn mine twice in the
past.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Carlson" <m-carlson@comcast.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 10:51 PM
Subject: [tech] Help diagnosing an 8V?

My Scirocco has taken ill after yesterday's autocrossing activities.  :(
She ran fine before and during the event, but the drive home was a different
story.

Basically, it feels like she's missing on a cylinder below 3000rpm.  (Sounds
like a darned aircooler!)  Above that, power comes back on and she's
purring.  Letting off the throttle and stepping back on it seems to
exacerbate the issue, sometimes with a misfire.  (Heh, I said exacerbate!)
At idle, she'll purr for a few seconds, then run rough for a few seconds,
then purr for a few seconds, then run rough for a few seconds, etc...

I've replaced the distributor cap and rotor, which were looking quite worn.
No change in behavior though.  Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Carlson
'84 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition
'95 GTI VR6