Rattle at high RPM/full throttle?

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Daun Yeagley wrote:

> Check to see if the heat shield on the downpipe is still
> installed.  If so, that is a likely source of rattle - took
> me a week or two to find it on a 16v I had awhile back.
> Either tighten the bolt or remove altogether.

Oops.  Here's the other piece to my puzzle that, as is required in a list
post, I forgot to include initially.  There's a significant drop in power
when it starts rattling (knocking?).  And if I try to continue to accelerate
when it's making the noise, it just gets worse.

I will check the heat shield, though, as it may be loose (noticed a little
remaining exhaust rattle when I replaced the exhaust last week, and it
didn't appear to be a broken cat.)

ian Butler / ian@hplx.net
'88 Scirocco 16v, '87 Syncro GL