[tech] Help diagnosing an 8V?

Being that he has an 84 Scirocco listed in his sig, I have a feeling he
doesn't have an ISV (that is a CIS-E thing), and 84 Roccos run CIS-Lambda.

Michael, when you hear the car run rough, does the buzzing of the
frequency valve change?  Sounds like the system is adjusting the mixture,
badly.  Time to break open the bentley and get a dwell meter, you can see
what your Oxygen sensor is telling the Jetronic brain to do.  Could be
your mixture has changed, or, more likely, your oxygen sensor has gone
bad.  Try hitting the full throttle switch while it is idling, let us know
how the engine acts when you do that.

Eric