Dash light short

Its not the switch, I have swapped in 3 different ones.  Its the wire that
comes out of the dimmer part.  As soon as it sees 12volts something back
there starts smoking.  Wire must be shorting somewhere behind the dash, and
was hoping someone had this happen and can say "ya know what, that wire
always rubs on the ____ and shorts out, look there first."

Brad

87 16V