A/C: Broken evaporator?

Ack.  My Scirocco's A/C is unhappy.

When I run the A/C, I get moisture coming out both sides of my lower center
console, where the evaporator is.  (I checked the drain line, and it's not
coming from there.)  Some condensation forms on the passenger's side, too.
I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the evaporator (at least that's
what the Bentley tells me is down there).  Is this something I can fix
myself, or will this require a trained professional?  I really don't wanna
tear all that stuff apart....

Glad I've got my other VW with working A/C!

Mike Carlson
'84 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition
'95 GTI VR6
http://www.divergent.org/mikes.vws/