Throttlebody project costs (was: RE: Horny Devil speaks- audio)

Allyn, I've listed some approximate costs below. Of course, if you fabricate
stuff on your own the price will come down. I'm probably forgetting things,
but these are major components. ITBs are an expensive way to make some
fantastic NA power. The key to making this a helluva lot cheaper is to run
the G60 injection, methinks. Dunno if it can be made to work very well in
this application, but I have little doubt that it could be. Anyway, that was
the direction that I was going to go in until I decided to go with the
TEC-II.

The big catch with the ITBs, however, is that they won't make anything like
200hp unless you've already ported the heads and are running hot cams.
Otherwise, they won't reach their flow potential by a long shot. That adds
another $1500 to the price tag! Additionally, with a turbo you can turn up
the boost! -lots of bang for the buck with forced induction... sorta...

Then again, in order really to do so, you'll have to do plenty of bottom end
work to lower compression, etc. With that in mind, I really made the
decision to go with the NA solution because of the cool factor. If I were to
make a practical decision at this point... I'd probably go with a turbo'd
Corrado G60 or other 1.8l 8v block/head combo.

Anyway, here's the casual cost break down...
throttlebodies: $1100
engine management*: (TEC-II was $1200 used)
fuel fittings: $50
braided steel line: $50
distributor block off plate: $50
custom Magnecore wires: $175
oil catch can w/lines, etc: $75

EMS tuning & dyno time: varies, but count on several hundred bucks...

*EIP crank trigger assembly: $250 (not necessary for SDS and other EMS)
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut