Prices of basic stuff

--- gareth martin <garethdalziel@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am excited about buying my first 87 16v Scirocco this
>week. The one I am looking at has a few minor things
>needing done and wondering if anyone has any insight into
>costs (I live in Canada remember) This is what it needs:

>Axle Shaft Seals (both sides)

Do you mean flange seals?  Not my favorite job but do-able.
 Did mine while the tranny was out of the car.

>Timing Belt Cover
>Timing Belt

Change the belt asap.  If it breaks you'll almost assuredly
need a new head, minimum.

>Plug Wires

Expensive - over $100 U.S. a set typically.

>Oil Pan Gasket

Cheap and not a very difficult job.  Be sure to have a
universal joint for your 1/4" drive 10mm socket to get to a
couple of the bolts on the flywheel end of the block
however.

Welcome to the list.  Planning on making Cincy?  :)

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace