From: Jonas K. [mailto:jkarlsso@metabolex.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 10:34 AM
To: Night Shadow; the hitman
Cc: scirocco list
Subject: Re: lifter noise(sorta ot)

On 4/23/02 9:05 PM, "Night Shadow" <soltwede@privateI.com> wrote:

> I had a mechanic friend tell me to dump in a quart of ATF, run it at
> idle for about 5-10 minutes and then drain the oil.

>> my bro's '86 coupe gt has a lot of lifter noise. the 5 cyl is a hydraulic
>> lifter engine, so there's no way to adjust. my ? is  are there any good
>> products to clean the lifters to try to quiet them before i go through
>> the trouble of changing them?

I've also heard about the ATF method, but I'm hesitant to go down that
route. ATF just doesn't seem to belong in a motor. Instead I use "Gunk Motor
Flush" it's like $3 for a can and you do the same thing. Dump it in before
an oil change, let it idle for 5 minutes, then drain/change filter.

Has worked many times for me. I recommend it to anyone with hydro lifters.

Good luck, and let me know if it works for you too,
Jonas