Brakes

The real deal with x-drilled is this:

con - they have less metal, therefore less thermal mass. cooling aside, they will heat up quicker
under braking. this is bad for the guy who floors his brakes trying to go from 140 to 0 in 3
seconds... his brakes will heat up faster than the guy with stock rotors.

pro - they have more surface area and will cool faster between braking events (as well as heating up
slower during braking, attempting to counteract the less thermal mass thing). This is good for the
guy making frequent 20-40 mph drops in speed (i.e. on a track)... during the short stops the rotor
doesnt heat up enough to have a noticable effect on the pads coefficient of friction. The rotors
will cool quickly between braking events, making them better for frequent braking (where the solid
rotors would just heat up more and more every time the brakes are hit).

aside - drilled rotors that are intended to be used under heavy racing conditions need to be made of
an alloy that will resist warpage under the increased thermal stresses from the faster heat/cool
cycles that the rotor has to live through. over the years, stock rotors have better mixes of metal
in them and can deal with the stresses of being x-drilled (to a point).

bottom line - unless your intent is auto-x or some kind of track racing where you will be on the
brakes heavy and often, dont waste your cash on the x-drilled rotors.

note - I'm putting brembo x-drilled/slotted/plated rotors on the rieger here shorty, but i am doing
so solely for the looks (gonna have 17's with a BUNCH of open space in there, and i REFUSE to look
like the cheey ass hondas/neons at work with 18's showing off their rear drums.

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch, driveshafts, wheels :)