It's back together, Kinda. (long)

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C1EAFD.49AD3C80

Well I've finally put my car back together after having it apart for 8 =
months.  At the last Auto-x I went to something broke in the tranny.  I =
had to have it towed home.  If i was smart I'd but a damn trailer.  I =
discovered that a screw for the beaing retainer plate behind the 5th =
gear fell out and into 5th.  It knocked all the teeth off of 5th, then =
those teeth started taking out the final drive.  The final tried to stop =
turning and I guess doing 50 with big hoosiers (225/45's? on 13 x 9's) =
was to much for the outer drivers side CV since the cage exploded into =
like 50 pieces.

I brought the car home and took it apart, and for various reasons have =
not had time to get it all back together (having another child, =
remodeling parts of the house to accomidate).

Fianlly finished up Sunday but all is not well.  I could select all the =
gears when I had the tranny on the bench but I must have let one of the =
small springs move that work on the engagement teeth when I put it back =
together.  I can go into third from 1st or 2nd, but I cant go back into =
it after coming out of it.  Nor will it go in from 4th or 5th.  I can go =
back to second and then it will pop right back into 3rd.  Since 3rd is =
the highest I'll ever use when auto-xing I'll leave it alone for now.  I =
would take it back out and fix it but my wife is having a c-section on =
Friday.

I made a few uprgades while I had it apart.=20

1.  I had to replace the OMP limited slip with a shim kit.  The OMP wore =
out increadibly quickly, 5 auto-x's and less than 450 miles.  Total =
junk.  I'd already rebuilt it once.  To beat that after one drive on =
street tires I can tell the shim kit works better.  If any one out there =
is considering buying this diff then save your money because it's crap.

2.  Put on Hawk Blue race pads and a set of ATE powerslot rotors.  OH MY =
GOD!  Those pads are great.  I think it stops better than my Corrado =
used too.  New rotors probably didn't hurt either as the others have =
been on the car for 12 years.  One side had some cracking and pitting =
going on.  I should have replaced them years ago.

3. Fixed some other minor annoyances.  The shift bracket that hangs from =
the bottom of the car, added the correct factory tube from the small =
white box in the back to the fuel pump to replace the copper one I made =
last summer when I replaced said white box and found out that VW had =
chaged it.  A couple of small other things too.

Now if I caould talk my wife into letting me go race it on Sunday.  =
Somehow I don't think I could get by with it.

Alan

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C1EAFD.49AD3C80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well I've finally put my car back =
together after=20
having it apart for 8 months.&nbsp; At the last Auto-x I went to =
something broke=20
in the tranny.&nbsp; I had to have it towed home.&nbsp; If i was smart =
I'd but=20
a&nbsp;damn trailer.&nbsp; I discovered that a&nbsp;screw for the beaing =

retainer plate behind the 5th gear fell out and into 5th.&nbsp; It =
knocked all=20
the teeth off of 5th, then those teeth started taking out the final =
drive.&nbsp;=20
The final tried to stop turning and I guess doing 50 with big hoosiers=20
(225/45's? on 13 x 9's)&nbsp;was to much for the outer drivers side CV =
since the=20
cage exploded into like 50 pieces.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I brought the car home and took it =
apart, and for=20
various reasons have not had time to get it all back together (having =
another=20
child, remodeling parts of the house to accomidate).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fianlly finished up Sunday but all is =
not=20
well.&nbsp; I could select all the gears when I had the tranny on the =
bench but=20
I must have let one of the small springs move that work on the =
engagement teeth=20
when I put it back together.&nbsp; I can go into third from 1st or 2nd, =
but I=20
cant go back into it after coming out of it.&nbsp; Nor will it go in =
from 4th or=20
5th.&nbsp; I can go back to second and then it will pop right back into=20
3rd.&nbsp; Since 3rd is the highest I'll ever use when auto-xing I'll =
leave it=20
alone for now.&nbsp; I would take it back out and fix it but my wife is =
having a=20
c-section on Friday.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I made a few uprgades while I had it =
apart.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1.&nbsp; I had to replace the OMP =
limited slip with=20
a shim kit.&nbsp; The&nbsp;OMP wore out increadibly quickly, 5 auto-x's =
and less=20
than 450 miles.&nbsp; Total junk.&nbsp; I'd already rebuilt it =
once.&nbsp; To=20
beat that after one drive on street tires I can tell the shim kit works=20
better.&nbsp; If any one out there is considering buying this diff then =
save=20
your money because it's crap.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2.&nbsp; Put on Hawk Blue race pads and =
a set of=20
ATE powerslot rotors.&nbsp; OH MY GOD!&nbsp; Those pads are great.&nbsp; =
I think=20
it stops better than my Corrado used too.&nbsp; New rotors probably =
didn't hurt=20
either as the others have been on the car for 12 years.&nbsp; One side =
had some=20
cracking and pitting going on.&nbsp; I should have replaced them years=20
ago.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. Fixed some other minor =
annoyances.&nbsp; The=20
shift bracket that hangs from the bottom of the car, added the correct =
factory=20
tube from the small white box in the back to the fuel pump to replace =
the copper=20
one I made last summer when I replaced said white box and found out that =
VW had=20
chaged it.&nbsp; A couple of small other things too.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now if I caould talk my wife into =
letting me go=20
race it on Sunday.&nbsp; Somehow I don't think I could get by with=20
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alan</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C1EAFD.49AD3C80--