(named: ) turbo/super

> Julie-
>   I've heard of people trying both at the same time, just never heard how
> they worked, though.
>
> When people say "superchargers are low-end" they mean they produce boost
at
> low revs/throttle openings, where turbos do not.
> Superchargers make power EVERYWHERE (low, mid-range, and top end) and
would
> be the hp-maker of choice if it weren't for their down-sides.

Like lower rpm potential, greater internal losses, greater parasitic drag,
generally lower boost potential, fixed blower speed to engine rpm ratio,
just to name the ones that I can think of right now...

> Turbos are the second-class citizens (this is my opinion, of course, but I
> CAN back it up), but they are popular for several reasons.
> I could list the good and bad of both systems, but won't because most of
you
> know it.

    I couldn't imagine deciding that the supercharger was the way to go. You
could start by comparing the various supercharger vs turbo componentry
available on the hotrodder market. Exactly which supercharger are we talking
about? All I have heard or seen firsthand as far as supercharger kits in the
aftermarket have been horror stories. A friend owns one, I would save you
from that.

    What about when you want to increase the boost a little after you have
installed the system? Guess you'd have to go get a larger pulley
(proprietary and only available in a few sizes) for $75 or whatever. I'd
prefer to adjust my wastegate a bit or adjust my boost controller.

    I'd love to hear any arguments you might have in favor of a
supercharger, particularly with regards to our cars.

-Noah
-86 Audi 5ktq
-84 Audi Quattro
-82 Chevy Rollback wrecker! 454cu yeehaw!
-Yard full of VWs that will become one car soon